Furnishings and Upgrades

A postwar brochure for Reid Hall describes its state after 1945:

"Reid Hall survived the war years without serious damage (...) Through the generous cooperation of the Board, American friends, and the French government, funds were gathered last spring to provide the necessary food, curtains, rugs, and general supplies to reorganize and open this center of international goodwill. The American Institute of Decorators is furnishing two salons as its contribution to the project. All these articles had to be secured in the United States because we did not wish to consume the very limited food supply and furnishings now in France. Little by little, the supplies have arrived; the house has heat, hot water two days a week, a telephone system that really works, electricity five days a week (as in all French homes)..."

When Leet returned in 1947, she immediately proceeded with upgrading the property, furnishing it, and securing necessary operational supplies:

Dorothy Leet, "Report to Members and Other Friends of Reid Hall," June 7, 1948. Barnard Archives

In 1948, one of the Reid Hall Board members, Mrs. James E. Briggs, gifted Reid Hall with a concert piano (it probably is the Mason & Hamlin that is still on-site and that was completely overhauled in 2010?).

In her 1948 report to members, Leet also mentions the gift of a statue by Janet Scudder, which has disappeared from the property.

Following a nationwide contest among members of Institute of the Decorators, Reid Hall was gifted new furniture. An October 1947 article in the New York Herald Tribune names the contributors to the Institute of Decorators gift: "Through the efforts of the committee, donations of suitable furnishings have already been received from Brunovan Inc., Brunschwig & Fils, Elizabeth Draper, Freeman furniture, Theo Hoffstatter & Co., Josephine Howell, Mildred Irby, Joseph Lombardo, Don Ruseau, Ailsa Shaw-Thompson, Douglas Sommerville, Diane Tate, and Marian Hall. A nation-wide appeal for cash donations to the fund is underway."

Salon Reid Hall, 1949
Reid Hall Salon, 1949
Reid Hall Salon, 1949

On March 24, 1949, the formal opening of the two newly decorated salons was presented by the American Institute of Decorators in the presence of Ambassador Jefferson Caffery. A plaque commemorating their gift can be found in the Reid Hall archive. Other pieces of furniture were provided later.

In 1949-1950 academic year, painting of the interior spaces was gradually completed. Generous gifts of Mrs. Elon Hooker, Miss Dorothy  Ainsworth and others, helped redecorate bedrooms  with curtains and bedcovers.

In 1951, the Board held a memorial to Mrs Louis Slade: "[...] whose constant interest and enthusiasm helped to rebuild this Centre. Since Mrs. Slade enjoyed particularly the garden, this would seem to be the most suitable memorial" (RH report, 1950-1951, Barnard Archives). 

In 1952: under the auspices of the Caroline Slade Memorial Fund, "[...] the lovely garden which runs toward the srue de la Grande Chaumière has been planted as a small formal French garden, with low box borders and plants flowering throughout the year" (RH report 1951-1952, Barnard Archives). In addition, the student salon was redecorated through gift of Mrs. Winthrop Ames, Treasurer-Emeritus of Reid Hall.

1958: Glass and iron gallery repaired; installation of a new telephone switchboard and new instruments; installation of a new hot water boiler.

1959: Painting of the entire exterior of each building. an American member from Dublin gave a generous gift for the garden.

1961: Painting of salons, bedrooms, baths, corridors. Refurbishing the house with new rugs, curtains, chairs, bed covers.